One of my primary projects as a Student Design Engineer at the University of Alberta machine shop was to design a mobile workstation for one of the technicians. The technician was responsible for maintaining the numerous photo frames around the Mechanical Engineering building that detailed different research and capstone projects.
The design requirements for the workstation were to make it easier to transport all the necessary materials and provide a sufficiently sized work surface.
The design was modeled and detailed using Pro/Engineer. The majority of hardware were sourced from online sources like McMaster Carr. The cart was designed to have a welded frame.
- Discussed design requirements with technician
- Design and detailing using Pro/E
- Sourcing off-the-shelf components
- Creating of drawing package for manufacturing
- Update with results of critical design review
- Date: 2005